Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Son - please fill in the details!

Managing two blogs, I swear I click the missionary blog, and end up posting Elder Jake's items on the family one. Oh well! Here is the letter I wrote Feb. 21, 2010

Dear Elder Jake,

Wow! What a letter - with LOTS of unanswered information for your family . . . your mother. You may not realize it but you hadn't told us some important information. First - please tell me what you "finished taking medication" for. And why you got to know the mission doctor during your first transfer. Why you couldn't work out? How bad is the dog bite and do you know if the dog has had its' rabies shots?

Honestly, I don't worry too much about your safety - I figure Heavenly Father does a much better job of watching over his missionaries than my worries would. HOWEVER, information is a good thing.

Okay - YUCK with eating wormy sandwiches. I read your letter to some people, including Team 63. (Its cool to have emails available on my Blackberry.) People were a bit grossed out . . . until I read that you finished the sandwich. Then most would groan and hold their stomachs. If they knew you, they would also laugh!

On a more serious note, it sounds like the mission president expects great things from you. Sis Brown emailed me after I had forwarded last week's letter. She wrote:

Sheesh

What a letter! Jake has been given quite a heavy assignment! I am SO PROUD of his attitude and humility. I already knew he was strong, but his mission president is ready for him to strengthen all those around him. Please know he is in our family prayers every day.

Your mission president is expecting a lot of you and its up to you to rise to the challenge. You are a hard worker and know how to obtain out of reach goals. You also have been blessed with social skills to know how to best motivate others. (It doesn't mean they will always appreciate your leadership.) Sometimes missionaries become complacent as the newness of the mission or the area wears off. Avoid it if possible. Set an example of enthusiasm and obedience and help others become the most amazing servants of the Lord. And wake up on time!!! ;-) Make your knowledge become "do-ledge!" (I know - very dumb joke but it reminds me of Pres. Kimball's message of the difference between knowing and doing!)

How are things going with your companion? Any changes with your interactions? What are his strenghts? How are you able to serve him and help him succeed? How are the ZLs? Have you named your two ginormous cockroaches? Created races with them yet?

Sounds like the area is a good one with a missionary-focused stake president. You said something about opening an area - is this a new area? Or just new to you? Tell us more about the members.

Any more information you neglected to share with us? I heard that the church is switching the missionary emails to another server, at least with other missions. Have you heard anything? And when do we get to see some pictures - and so I can post them on your blog? It needs some more pictures.

Since you received your box, I am getting another ready. Anything you need to be sent from Oregon (besides peanut butter)?

I saw Sis. B last week and shared your good wishes and comments. I also saw Sis. P at the temple on Friday. She asked about you and I shared your blog information.

We had a wonderful dinner at the Vs last Sunday. Both D families were there as well as two missionaries, including - Elder de S. (One of our favorite Brazilian missionaries!)

During the missionary discussion, both the parents talked about stake conference. L said, "It felt like I belonged there." Both talked about feeling accepted as they were by others. L said that they had visited other churches and the acceptance and love they felt at the LDS church was so different. During the missionary lesson, they asked if anyone wanted to bear their testimony about the Holy Ghost's influence in testifying to the truth. Dad rose his hand and bore a wonderful testimony. I also shared a few words about the power it gives in providing direction, answers, and comfort in my life, especially as a parent. Then 15 yo Steven bore his testimony - such a sweet one. He is the catalyst as to why this family is meeting with the missionaries. He wanted them to know what he believed and why it made a difference in his life.

Meanwhile, their son attended Cub Scouts with W on Tuesday and seemed to enjoy it. They will be attended the Blue and Gold banquet on Thursday. Also, they are coming to dinner tonight with the missionaries along with a missionary lesson. The family seemed pretty ready for baptism last week but weren't challenge. Not sure why - expect there were a lot of people there. We will see what happens tonight.

Other family happenings - I have a new client, this one I connected with at Katie's wedding. Her family was in my ward growing up, and she was one of our babysitters. (And she isn't holding it against me!) Anyway, the job will give me extra reasons to go to California. Also, it looks like Derek's family along with Grandma J will be coming here at the end of June. We have tickets for the stage production of the Lion King. Pretty excited!

A and Dad went to the Daddy-Daughter dance on Friday night. Afterwards, she went to Dad's basketball game, then smoothies at Jack-in-the-Box. They both had a great time.

W went to the library yesterday and asked the librarian to help him find kids books on electricity. He brought home four - one or two with home projects. He is pretty intent on the projects. I don't mind as long as electrical outlets are not involved. A likes to act as an assistant or instructor, depending on situation.

J is using my Blackberry to write you a letter. I am not sure how readable it will be but it should be fun. He and Wes worked hard yesterday redeeming all the cans, etc. He earned $140 between a few days of that. (He had sent a flier around the neighborhood asking for help and the neighbors were wonderful!)

W asked about our remodeling and wondered if we were replacing the "Mexican windows" in the living room. He had to explain it was the yellow windows. He said that he calls them that because he saw windows like that in the "Three Amigos."

S seems to be babysitting almost every weekend. She is loved by the kids, and she seems to like it as well. We are trying to come up with a party plan for her 16th birthday. She might combine with her friend, who has her 17th the next day, and do a pampering party with a bunch of girls from the ward.

Dad and the kids went to a triple Eagle court for one family. (I had a Team 63 gathering.)

I think that is enough. I worry that I write too much and not give you enough time to write back. Please take care and continue to work hard and pray hard. We love you lots.

Love, Mom

No comments: